How then shall we who are weak, finite, do battle withimmortal, powerful forces in spiritual realms? The Scriptures tell us that"The weapons of our warfare are, mighty to God to thepulling down of strongholds." (2 Corinthians 10:4-5)
Who has these weapons?
To whom are they aimed?
What are the weapons?
How do they pull down strongholds?
Who Has These Weapons?
Jesus gives us some very important insights into Spiritual Warfare. "Verily, I say unto you whatever you bind on earth shall be boundin heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."(Matthew 18:18)
The context is speaking of spiritual authority in the church toexecute church discipline, and specifically to declare anyone"anathema," or "cursed." The verses that follow howeber (18-20) apply to a broader scope. It is referring to spiritual authorityin "heavenly places."(Eph 1:3, 2:6, 3:10) Jesus said, "All authority is given unto mein heaven and earth." He also declared to his disciples, "Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you." (Luke 10:19)
Who has this authority to tread on the enemy? Believers! Any two or threebelievers who agree as touching any issue they shall ask and it will be done.
Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 18:19)
To Whom Are They Aimed?
Luke further illuminates us to this spiritual authority in Luke 11:20-22.
"If I by the finger of God cast out devils (note the sp. authority),no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you. When a strong man (thedevil) armed keeps his palace, his goods are in peace. BUT when astronger than he shall come upon him (that is Jesus) and overcome him,he takes from him all his armor (the stronghold) wherein he trusted,and divides his spoils."
Our weapons are mighty "through God," that is, they are stronger than thedevil because Jesus has come and is stronger than Satan. And he has delegatedto us that continuing authority, his authority, to bind the enemy and spoil his plans! Our prayer weapons are not aimed at God, but at the enemy.
What Are These Weapons?
Our weapons against the enemy's strongholds are...
- Jesus - the Lord rebuke you Satan - 1 John 4:4, Jude 1:9, Zech 3:2
- Name of Jesus - Philippians 2:9
- Prayer - 2 Cor. 10:4
- Faith - 1 John 5:4
- Word (God's promises) - Ephesians 6:17
- The Blood of the Lamb - Revelation 12:11
- Testimony - Revelation 12:11
How Do We Pull Down Strongholds?
Our weapons work through faith, that is, by declaring in prayer the authority and power of the Lord Jesus Christ over all spiritual powers. "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." (Ephesians 6:12) Our prayers aremighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds. When we prayer God moves by his mighty power. He sends out his angelic servants on missions ofmercy. He stops the mouths of lions. He stills the storms with his word. He heals by his touch. God is at work on our behalf when we pray. We do not wrestlewith God in prayer, but the wrestling is done with our own undisciplined minds, and with and against all the powers of the enemy.
Use the Weapons of Our Warfare
Urgency, intensity, burden, crying, fasting, staying until burden is lifted
Resist, rebuke, bind, cast out, silence, loose, agree in prayer, His blood
"Two are better than one" - If any two of you shall agree...ask..."
Quote, claim, apply, lay hold of, plead, take refuge in
Exalt Jesus name, worship, sing praises, declare his glory, extol his attributes and sovereignty
Trust the Eternal-Never-Failing Promises of God
- Jeremiah 23:29 Is not my Word is like a hammer that breaks the rock in pieces?
- Hebrews 4:12 The Word...is living, powerful, sharp, cutting, discerning..."
- Numbers 23:19 God is not a man that he should lie..hath he spoken, and shall he not make good?
- I Kings 8:56 ...According as He promised there hath not failed one word of all his good promises.
- II Corinthians 1:20 For all the promises of God in Him are 'YES' and 'AMEN'.
- Romans 4:20-21 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith giving glory to God; and being fully persuaded that, what He had promised, He was able to perform.
- Hebrews 6:11 It is impossible for God to lie."
- Hebrews 10:23 He is faithful that promised."
- II Peter 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature...
- Matthew 4:4 Man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.
Promises to pray
Lay Hold Of The Promises
- Receive them as of God - "to you..."
- Believe them as of God - "Yes, and Amen today"
- Apply them as from God - "For this situation..."
- Claim as own
- Quote to the enemy
- Stand on the Word
- Rest in the faithfulness of God