Our Shield and Buckler
"Above all take the shield of faith"
Psalm 91:1-3 "His truth is your shield and buckler" Ephesian 6:16
Israelites used two kinds of shields:
1. SHIELD: A large 'door size' body shield known as "tsinnah" that wasadapted to cover the whole body. The Greek word "thyreos" derivedfrom the word door "tyra." This was carried by the heavily armedinfantry soldiers and would protect them from the initial onslaught ofarrows bombarded at the front lines. Goliath carried a shield of thistype that was so heavy it required a shield bearer. 1 Samuel 17:7
2. BUCKLER: A small shield (magen=buckler KJV) was carried by thearchers. This shield was fitted on the arm so that the soldier couldmove about and still have the shield ready. These small shields wereconstructed of wicker or light wood and covered with either leather,or bronze. Unfortunately the KJV often confused the translation ofthese two weapons.
In the spiritual realm Paul enlightens our spiritual warfare byinforming us that we are to use the "shield (thyreos) of faith toquench all the firey darts of the wicked one." It is important tonotice that the shield is not just one more piece of armor to beattached. He says, "ABOVE ALL take the shield of faith."
- It is not our shield but GOD'S shield for us.
- Psalm 3:3 "Thou art a shield for me."
- Psalm 119:114 "Thou art my hiding place and my shield."
- Psalm 5:12 "Thou wilt compass him as with a shield."
- It is not a singular shield nor a small 'magen' it is both a bodyshield and an arm shield. He is our "Shield and Buckler."
- Genesis 15:1 "Abram, I am thy shield and great reward."
- Psalm 28:7 "He is our Strength and Shield"
- Psalm 33:20 "He is my Help and Shield."
- Psalm 84:11 "He is my Sun and Shield." *
- Psalm 119:114 He is my Hiding Place and Shield."
- What is the shield? It is not made by us of wood or stubble. It isGod's Truth. It is composed of the promises of the word of God. Itis by those promises that we must FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT OF FAITH.
- Psalm 91:4 "His truth shall be thy shield and buckler."
* Often shields were polished to a bright shine so that the sun wouldreflect off of them blinding the enemy. In the same way the "brightnessof His glory" or the Shekinah glory, so radiates from us as we pray thatlike Moses' whose face glowed, so we glow His presence into the enemy'seyes, thus blinding his attempts to aim fiery darts.
It is with this shield of faith that we are able to QUENCH ALL thefiery darts of the wicked on.
What are the fiery darts that the "devil" shoots at us when we pray? Are they not all the thoughts and distractions to keep us from looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith (our shield).
"1 He that dwelleth in the SECRET PLACE of the most High shall abideunder the shadow of the Almighty. 2 I will say of the LORD, He is myREFUGE and my FORTRESS: my God; in him will I trust. 3 Surely he shalldeliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisomepestilence. 4 He shall COVER THEE with his feathers, and under his wingsshalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy SHIELD AND BUCKLER."