Why is it important or even necessary to study positions of prayer?The Apostle Paul expressed it well in Hebrews saying that he had much toteach them but found that they were stunted in their spiritual walkbecause of a lack of exercise in the things they had already beentaught.
"For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both goodand evil."
There are many things we have never learned, never experienced, neverexcercised, or put into practice in our lives. There are manypositions of prayer we have never practiced yet. Like the HebrewChristians we have stunted our Christian experience through stagnationof one position. God's Word encourages us to be active in prayervarying our postions, and our actions to keep prayer vibrant and fresh.
The following are some of the Biblical positions and actions of prayerrefered to and commanded in the Bible. See how many you have or havenot yet practiced in your prayer life. Then begin to vary your prayerexperience by trying each of these.
- Eyes open - John 11:41 / John 17:1
- Tears shed - 1 Samuel 1:7-10/ Psalm 126:5-6
- Shout/applaud/cheer - Ezra 3:11-14/ Ps 47:1
- Sing - Psalm 100:4/ Ephesians 5:19
- Loud voice - Acts 7:60
- Unison - (Homo-thumadon) rush together making same noise - Acts 4:24
- Speak to obstacle - Joshua 10:12 "Sun stand still"/ Mat. 21:21
- Speak with no sound - I Samuel 1:7-10
- Say "Amen" to others prayers - I Cor. 14:16
- Fast - 2 Samuel 12:16/ Isaiah 58:6
- Stand up - Nehemiah 9:3-5
- Kneel - Eph. 3:14/ Philip.2:9-11
- Lay down on bed - 2 Kings 20:2
- Lay face on ground - 2 Chronicles 7:3
- Walk (pace) - 2 Kings 4:33-35
- Squat/bow down 1 Kings 18:42/ Ps. 95:6
- Dance - 2 Samuel 6:14-16
- Walk away be restored - Mat. 5:23-24
- Sackcoth & Ashes - 2 Kings 19:1
- Sit - Mt. 26:36 / Mark 14:32,37-38
- Bow head - Isaiah 58:5
- Raise hands in praise - Psalm 134:2/ 143:6
- Raise hands in authority - Exodus 17 8-15/Heb.12:11-12
- Touch together the thing - Mat. 18:19 (sumphoneo)
- Lift hand in blessing - Luke 24:50
- Lay hands on (for commisioning) - Hebrews 6:2/ 1 Tim. 4:14
- Anoint - Mark 6:13/ James 5:13-15
- Spread it before the Lord - 2 Kings 19:14-15